Home  |  Sitemap |  Contact Us  |  Translate  |  ELECTION INFO

The Engineer's Cottage
Heritage Square Park
109 3rd Avenue North
Texas City, TX 77590

This Victorian-style cottage was built by the Texas City Improvement Company prior to 1895 for an employee of the company. The house plans came from a Sears-Roebuck catalog.

Originally located at 206 2nd Ave. N. in the "First Addition," it became known as the Engineer's House because of the tragic fate of an early resident. Goodson G. Chamberlin (1846-1895), a contractor for the Port, was killed by James A. Muse (1835-1900), a former lighthouse keeper of Half Moon Shoal Lighthouse, as a result of a land dispute. Muse was later acquitted of the murder.

The home was bought by William Moore and later, by Donald W. and Barbara White in 1984. The Whites deeded the house to the Texas City Heritage Association prior to it move to Heritage Square in 1991.

© 2014 City of Texas City __ An All-American City

powered by  ezTaskTitanium  TM